Tip on Serving when Counting Calories

Different families have different ways they like to serve their dinners.  Some moms always have the plates ready, some dish out at the stove, others prefer the complete buffet style.  I am sort of in between.  I like the nice place setting, and I like having serving dishes on the table unless I am serving something like soup which will come straight from the stove or crock pot.  Sometimes the family comes to the table with their plates completely made, other times they come to the table with everything in serving dishes.  But one rule remains the same... no one eats until everyone's plate is made and the hostess (me) is ready. 

So, here lies the new problem.  If the hostess is counting calories, should the family (or guests) have to wait for the hostess to measure out her food?  This did become a problem at our home, because it does take time to weigh food, and the scale just doesn't fit the place setting very well.

I came up with a simple solution.  Meats are all cut to the proper size and weight prior to cooking if we are grilling or baking beef, fish, or chicken breasts.  Each piece is also prepared the same way, with the same amount of seasoning, light breading, sauces, etc.  This way I know when I take steak, chicken, or fish from the serving platter I have the right amount.

For side dishes I use serving spoons that come in 1, 1/2, and 1/4 cup sizes.  I have a ugly green plastic set and a nice sterling silver set that I use.  I will also set out my nice metal tablespoon for measuring out salad dressing.  For anything else that has to be weighed, such as garnishments, cheese, etc., I take a small plate or saucer and measure these out before setting the table, and I put that plate beside my main plate or dish. 

If we are having roast or roasted chicken, or any other type of main dish that has to be cut for each person, I have two solutions I go to.  Sometimes I will cut mine before setting the table so that I can have it weighed and sitting on my plate.  Other times I will go ahead and make everyone's plate.

This way no one has to wait for me to measure my food and the scale never makes it to the dinner table.

Soup served with garnishments in serving dishes.
My pre-measured garnishments are on a saucer
beside my bowl (it would have been nicer if I'd
taken the saucer from the same set of dishes!).

Happy Eating!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choose for Yourselves Today

What Kind of Friend Will You Choose to Be?

Choosing the Right Mirror