My Condolences...


I had been intentionally staying away from posting about the hate-filled crimes of this past weekend. I did not see how my words could convey what is in my heart. However, I am grieved by what I see on social media and in the news. Terrible things happened over the weekend. Many people are dead, many are injured, and many more are living in fear. And on top of that, many people are pushing the envelope with posts and memes that do nothing but cause more pain, anger, and hate.

First, let me say, anyone who is rejoicing over the tragedies of this weekend is not in Christ, no matter how loudly they may tell you they are Christians.  They are not walking with Him, because He does not rejoice in this. The Bible* tells us God takes no pleasure in the deaths of those who do not know Him.

Secondly, I want to tell everyone who was directly or indirectly impacted by the murders of this weekend, I am sorry.  I am sorry for the loss of loved ones.  I am sorry for the hurt and pain and fear experienced by those recovering.  I am sorry for everyone who is hurt by all the hateful things being said and for the flippant attitudes turning your pain into a platform. What you have gone through, no one should have to go through. My heart is breaking for you.  If I could, I would wrap my arms around each one of you and cry with you.

Thirdly, I am thankful for everyone – regardless of religion – who are stepping up and are taking a stand that these acts of terrorism are not acceptable. I am so thankful for the many people in Christ who are showing their love and compassion whether it be in the form of words, donating blood, or sharing food. 

To my friends and family who are in the LGBT community, I love you and I am so thankful you were not in that Orlando nightclub. To the family and friends and fans of Christina Grimmie, your loss has not been forgotten in the wake of this terrorism – you also are in my thoughts and prayers.

To everyone else, especially my brothers and sisters in Christ, what happened this weekend was an act of terrorism and hate. Let’s not propagate that hate by turning this heinous act into a political platform.  

What if…

  • What if we took the time to weep with those who are weeping and mourn with those who are mourning?
  • What if we decided to put aside our political opinions for a moment and lean in together to heal our country?
  • What if our first thoughts during a tragedy were not about our president or anyone’s political agenda, but our first thought was to love our neighbor as ourselves?
  • What if we looked at those who were taken from this world and saw them as people instead of another stepping stone in our agendas?
  • What if we thought before we posted?


Take a moment to look away from your computer screen.  Look up at your spouse.  Look at your children.  Look at your mom or dad.  Look at your brother or sister.  Seriously, look at them.  Remember all the good times you have had with them.  Ponder the love you have for them.  Now imagine someone ripping them out of your life in one act of hate.  Then with that pain in your heart, look at what you are posting on social media. Is that what you would want to be reading if it was your loved one who was murdered? Would what you are posting make you feel like you and your loved ones matter?

We do not have to agree with someone’s choices in order to show empathy and compassion .  We do not have to believe in someone’s lifestyle in order to love.  We do not have to agree with someone’s political platform in order to stand together as Americans. We can disagree and still live peacefully among each other.

I am not asking anyone to completely stop posting about everyday life, expounding on the virtues of the candidate of your choice, sharing jokes to lighten the day, or speaking on what you believe.  I am asking you to put aside the hate.  Put aside the condemnation. Put yourself in ‘their shoes.’  Take time to see people – regardless of how different they are from you – as humans… as created beings. Take time to love. Take time to weep. Take time to help our fellow Americans heal. 

"Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.” ~Romans 12:14-15

*See Ezekiel 18 and 33

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choose for Yourselves Today

What Kind of Friend Will You Choose to Be?

Choosing the Right Mirror