How can I know the truth?

“Note well! Satan does not always try to ruin faith by saying, “The Bible isn’t true.” He often tries to destroy our faith by affirming some passage and using it to lead us into disobedience.” - John Piper

I admit there are times when I do not read my Bible as often as I should.  I am striving to do better - to set a good example for my children and to keep myself well-founded in Truth. I have found myself running to God's Word more these past few months than in a long time. I used to read it because I 'was supposed to.' Now I read it because I desire to. But I still need encouragement and accountability to stick with it. 

God’s Word speaks to all of us.  We do not need a theology degree nor do we need to master Hebrew or Greek. What we need to understand the Scriptures is the Holy Spirit within us.

When discussing scripture, be wary of those who name their accomplishments - seminary, theology degrees, learning of Greek and Hebrew, etc. - to try to sway you. Sometimes they are trying to intimidate you by their knowledge to make you believe they know more about Scripture than you. Remember, Satan himself knows the Bible very well and will twist verses to use towards his purpose (see Matthew 4:1-11). 

I love this passage from John Piper’s article, “Satan’s Bible Knowledge:”

What is the upshot for us? 1) Do not believe everyone who can quote you a text. History is strewn with cults who twisted the Scriptures to their own destruction (2 Peter 3:16). 2) Read widely in the Bible and ask yourself continually how this part fits with that part and that with this. It is when the pieces start to fit together that we are most secure from distortion. 3) Read theological books that the decades and centuries have proved to be deep, solid, and lasting. 4) Fast and pray that God will open our eyes to see true and wonderful things in his Word. 5) Obey what you do understand and you will understand more.

Nothing starts my day better than a cup of coffee or hot tea and time with God in His Word and in prayer. And the more I do this the more I find His Word returning to me in my time of need - my need for discernment, my need for direction, my need for comfort and refuge.

“Indeed, all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted. But evil men and impostors will proceed from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.  You, however, continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of, knowing from whom you have learned them, and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.” - 2 Timothy 3:12-17


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choose for Yourselves Today

What Kind of Friend Will You Choose to Be?

Why I am leaving Facebook