A Difficult Decision...

Most of my friends know how much ministry to moms has meant to me and my family.  After seven years of participating and leading in my local group of a mom's ministry I became a field leader (volunteer staff). I recently retired from the ministry, where I served in a volunteer position representing the organization for six and half years - the final four as the leader over Kentucky and Tennessee.  Through this organization my life has changed - my family has changed.  We have grown.  I have grown as a mom, wife, and leader. But more importantly, I grew closer to our Lord.

Many of you know that God has called me to serve in other places - first in my home, secondly in my homeschool community.  However, there was a bigger reason for my retiring before the end of the ministry year… a theological reason.  This year the organization's leadership training incorporates teaching that I have concluded is in direct conflict with Scripture.  I do not make such a statement lightly - I not only sought the Word but also guidance from a pastor, mentors, family, and friends. 

While I was a representative, I was understandably not allowed to speak to group leaders about my disagreement with their doctrine. Conversely, I was told I needed to set aside my personal concerns about the training materials. I pour myself whole-heartedly into any ministry in which God has me serve, and my ministries become so much of who I am. It is simply impossible to separate my personal side with my ministry side. While I will be forever thankful for my time in the ministry and the relationships I’ve gained, it grieves me to see an organization that has been theologically strong for so long go down this path - a path where their teachings and writings are quoting mystics and a pantheist and are full of Taoism, mysticism, and New Age ideas (I will discuss these issues and how I came to this conclusion in future posts). It is my prayer that this wonderful organization will return to its roots and once again become a Biblically strong ministry.

I am exploring the path God has set forth for me, not yet certain if it will take another turn. For now, I will pour into my family and my homeschool community, and try to be more active in blogging. I hope to share what is going on in my life, encourage others, and answer some tough questions. 

 But examine everything carefully;
hold fast to that which is good...
~ 1 Thess. 5:21
*Note: I did not name the organization for two reasons. (1) In conversation with the president and CEO I mentioned I would not do so... I don't know what I was thinking, but I will abide by my word. (2) There are many organizations to which this could apply. I want to encourage everyone in any ministry (including church) to continually examine what is being taught against the scriptures. When we get lax in this we get complacent and things can slip through which is not in agreement with our own convictions or the Word. Just because someone's teaching has always been well-founded scripturally does not mean it always will be. 

 Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choose for Yourselves Today

What Kind of Friend Will You Choose to Be?

Choosing the Right Mirror