Gluten-Free Graham Crackers?!?!


I am in love.  It's name - graham crackers.  Well, not really, since they have no graham flour anywhere near them... so perhaps I should call them 'mock graham crackers.'  

One thing everyone in my family loves is graham crackers.  A few years ago we had to switch to an organic brand to avoid soy, and those were even better.  Yesterday I went on a search for a gluten-free brand, and when I saw the price I decided I'd try to make them instead.  I looked at a few recipes, and they are all very similar, yet using different flours.  

Well, if you've been reading my blog, you know I have to take it on as my own and create my own recipe.  If I'd ever known how easy these were to make, I would have never purchased graham crackers from the store.

I was going to video blog this recipe so you could see how easy it is, but I am already receiving requests from friends for the recipe, so I decided to put the recipe out there and I may video it later.  Don't let the long list of ingredients and multiple steps fool you, these are extremely fast and easy to make.  

Sara’s Gluten-Free ‘Graham Crackers’

2/3 cup garbanzo bean flour
1/3 cup almond flour
2/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup cornstarch (I use non-GMO)
1/4 cup sweet rice flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 3/4 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder (I use non-GMO/No alum)
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4 teaspoon salt
7 tablespoons solid coconut oil
3 tablespoons cold water
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
sugar
Gluten-Free rolled oats

Directions:

1.  In a large bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, xanthan gum, baking soda and salt.


2.  Cut in coconut oil using a pastry cutter.


3.  In a measuring cup, mix cold water, honey and vanilla. 


4.  Dough should form a ball. If dough is too dry, add more cold water a tbsp at a time.


5.  Put dough in refrigerator for five minutes.


6.  Preheat oven to 325 degrees.


7.  Cover two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Lightly grease with olive oil.


8.  Divide dough in half.  Put half the dough on one cookie sheet.  Return the remaining dough to the refrigerator.


9.  Roll dough into a rectangle on the cookie sheets to about a 1/8" thick. 


10.  Very lightly sprinkle dough all over with sugar.


11.  Pulse oats in a food processor to break the oats into smaller pieces and to make a little oat flour.


12.  Lightly sprinkle oats/oat flour over dough and gently press into dough.


13.  Score dough with a pizza cutter (or knife) into desired shapes and prick all over with a fork. 


14.  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. 


15.  Let cool for 5 minutes then break apart. 


16.  Cool completely and store in air-tight container.


Repeat steps 9-16 with other half of dough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choose for Yourselves Today

What Kind of Friend Will You Choose to Be?

Choosing the Right Mirror