Can you Celebrate both Christ and Bunnies?

“You don’t do Easter baskets?”  This is the question we are yearly asked, usually accompanied by incredulous looks.  And the reply is no, we do not do Easter baskets. 

For some reason people feel this is a reason to pity our children.  However, I do explain that we do spring baskets at a different time.  “Well, how is that any different?” is the next question.

I do not hate bunnies, nor do I despise baskets.  I even quite enjoy seeing colored eggs.  I grew up with Easter baskets.  They were exciting, they were fun... they contained wonderful candy that we ate before going to church.  I had a hard time sleeping because the Easter bunny was coming!!  

Even when I was older and realized there is no Easter bunny (he is quite a bit more far-fetched that Santa) I still got excited about the basket and the Easter egg hunt.  We did go to church on Easter Sunday (as we did most Sundays) and my parents did make sure we knew of the importance of Easter - being Resurrection Sunday, a time to celebrate Christ’s resurrection and ascension. However, the spiritual significance of Easter waned in my excitement of the fun of Easter.

When as an adult I focused more on Jesus, Easter became my favorite holiday.  Why? Because Christmas would have no significance if there was no Easter.  If Christ had stayed in the grave and not defeated death, then we would have no reason to celebrate His birth.

When our children were tiny we did Easter baskets for a few years.  I got excited about what I would put in their baskets and how they would respond.  When my husband requested five years ago not to do Easter baskets any more I was mortified!  I made a big issue of how this is how I presented the children new Easter clothing.  The basket was where the children got their new sunglasses and other sundries.  And yes, the one time they got those cute Peeps we all love to eat.

However, I decided to begrudgingly be submissive to my husband.  I did want peace in our house, and he is the spiritual head.  As I said, I did so begrudgingly.  There were plenty of tears, dirty looks, and thoughts of mutiny. 

Then I came to a realization.  I was once again making what the children received and the excitement of a pagan practice more important the Jesus’ sacrifice, death, and resurrection.  After repenting and getting my Easter focus back on track, one of us (I truly do not remember if it was my husband or me) had another idea.  A way not to merge the two thoughts, but a way to still have fun yet not detract from Jesus... a spring basket.

I already made a big deal out of the changing seasons.  I already gave the children little gifts at summer and fall - things they needed for that season.  After Christmas I left snowmen up to keep a cheerful winter.  So why not spring?  

Around the first of spring, we give the children a spring basket which includes such things as sunglasses, bubbles, pinwheels, a new outfit, and, yes, candy.  This allows me to separate the two events - the coming of spring, and the most important holiday of Easter.

To usher in the other seasons, in the summer I use sand buckets in which I put pool toys, goggles, and sometimes on of those handheld water sprayers/fans... there might even be a new swimming suit.  In the fall the children get caramel apples and some small art supplies for the days it is too cold to be outdoors.  

When they receive their gifts we talk about the changes in the weather, the colors, and even the smells.  We discuss the things that change with the animals and plants.  We take walks in the park or on our street, or even just sit in our yard, and discuss the changes we already see.  We will say goodbye to the old season by remember the fun we had and say hello to the new season by talking about the fun things we will do this season.  

We discuss how our awesome God was intentional about these changes.  We talk about the significance of these changes in our lives, and now that the children are getting older we talk about how these seasons parallel the seasons in our Christian walk.  I want to instill hope and joy in my children at every season, and not wish away one season in deference to another and I want to help them find reason not to slip into seasonal blues.

With every thing we see or do or celebrate with each season we try to make sure to always give glory to God and celebrate each new season He gives us with joy and anticipation.

And before you ask, no, we do not do Santa Claus either, but yes, we do give Christmas gifts.  But that is a topic for another time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Choose for Yourselves Today

What Kind of Friend Will You Choose to Be?

Why I am leaving Facebook